DOCTYPE in HTML
- The DOCTYPE declaration is the first thing in your HTML document and it will be used before the HTML tag.
- The DOCTYPE declaration is not an HTML tag.
- <!DOCTYPE> declaration is not a HTML tag.
- <!DOCTYPE> tells or instruct the web browser that what html version is using.
- It must be the first thing on the web page before the tag HTML is writing.
- The browser will understand what type of HTML document you are using if you add DOCTYPE to the web page.
- It just lets the browser know that the document type is HTML5. It defines that the document is in HTML 5 not and ordinary HTML5.
- The DOCTYPE Declaration is not case sensitive.
- The DOCTYPE declaration for HTML5 is simplified.
Browsers Support for DOCTYPE
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer/Edge
HTML 4.1 had three types of DOCTYPEs