PHP is mainly focused on three main areas
- Server-side scripting
- Command-line scripting
- Writing desktop applications
- This is the main target field of PHP.
- You need three things to use.
- PHP Parser
- A Web browser
- A Webserver
- You need to install the PHP and run the webserver with connected PHP Installation.
- Using a web browser, you can access PHP Output.
- The PHP page is viewing through a server.
- You can run PHP scripts without using a web browser or any server.
- These scripts are mainly used for simple text processing tasks.
Writing desktop applications
- PHP is not good for developing desktop applications with a graphical user interface.
- You can use PHP-GTK for such applications.
- It is not available in the main distribution. It is an extension to the PHP.
- PHP can be used on all major operating systems like Microsoft Windows, Unix variants, Linux, macOS.
- PHP has support from most of the web servers like Apache, IIS and many others.
- In PHP, you have freedom of choosing object-oriented programming(OOP), procedural oriented programming or mixture of them both.
Wide range of databases
- PHP Supports a wide range of databases like MySQL or connects to any database supporting the Open Database Connection standard.
Text processing features
- PHP also has text processing features like Perl compatible regular expressions (PCRE), and many extensions and tools to parse and access XML documents.
- PHP extends the feature set adding the support for XMLWriter, XMLReader and SimpleXML.