What is the function of git log?
- Git Log is used for Formatting the log output, Summary or history or filtering the commit.
- Git log figures out where the bugs are introduced, to see the project history, revert problematic changes.
- But the basic git log function is to show the commits.
- You can alter the function of the git log bypassing many parameters into it.
- By git log, you can filter commit history.
Limit number of commits displayed
- The most basic filtering option for git log is to limit the number of commits that are displayed.
- git log -<n> // <n> => You can limit git log output
- git log -3 // Display recent 3 commits
Filter by date
- git log //Function can also filter by date
- git log --after="2014-7-1"
- git log --after="yesterday"
Filter by the name of the author
Filter either by Ashok/Mathew
- git log --author="John|Mathew"
Filter by message
Filter By File
- git log -- test.php index.php
- //It returns all the commits that affected either by test.php or index.php
Filter By Content
- git log -S"Hello, World!"
- //It is possible for a search for commits that remove or introduce