- A noun is often called a noun phrase.
- A noun phrase can be a single-word noun or usually longer than a single word.
- Students love their parents(noun phrase:students)
- A good student loves his friends(noun phrase: A good student)
Nouns can be classified into five types:
- Proper nouns
- Common nouns
- Collective nouns
- Material nouns
- Abstract nouns
- It is the name of a particular thing or a person.
- Example: the name used for mountain, river, place, person, etc.
- It is not to a particular thing or a person.
- It refers to every person or any or class or thing of the same kind.
- Eg., man, woman, girl, boy
- A collective noun is the name of a group of people or a collection of things of the same kind.
- Example: class, jury, team, organization.
- Material Nouns is the name of the material or an ingredient thing that a substance is made up of or a substance.
- Example: Iron, copper, rice, wheat
- Abstract nouns are the name of the quantities or states or concepts found in the various kind of objects.
- Abstract nouns are abstracted from concrete nouns.
- Concrete nouns are the names of the material things having size, shape or form.
- Example: the book is a concrete noun. Whereas beauty is an abstract noun.
- Concrete nouns refer to physical properties. whereas abstract nouns refer to mental properties.